"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, January 3, 2020

A Few More Thoughts on Apologies and Amends


This is the post that I meant to post one New Year's Day, which jumps off a little from my earlier post about celebrity apologies. It isn’t about sexual harassment or assault, but it is about so-called “cancel culture” and making apologies/amends. This time, I’m looking more at words. In the context of celebrity, you see it most often with old tweets that resurface. Again, the situation is very different than looking at the abuse brought to light in the MeToo movement, but there are similarities in how these things often play out. Something bad comes out about someone’s past, people react, and the person responds, often badly and more to try and mitigate consequences for themselves than anything else.

When it comes to this sort of situation, I feel readier to talk about redemption/restitution than I am when we’re talking about people who’ve been confronted by allegations in the MeToo movement. First of all, it’s less likely that these are situations where someone committed a crime against another or messed with someone’s career for the sake of gratifying their own power (not to diminish the power of words; I’m just stating how I feel about this.) Second, I know that we as people can evolve throughout our lives in terms of our belief and understanding. I may never have “joked” about beating a hypothetical gay son (Kevin Hart) or rape/pedophilia (James Gunn,) but my attitudes have changed greatly over the years, on a range of subjects. Growing up, I learned homophobia along with my religion, and and when I was 11, I wrote a “novel” (which was maybe 20 pages long?) in which the circumstances of the Antebellum South were flipped (white slaves, Black masters) and I thought I was being so profound. I didn’t hurt anyone’s body or anyone’s livelihood, but I’m sure that, at various times, my words and attitudes hurt feelings. As I became better informed and more sensitive to others’ experiences, I didn’t simply flip a switch and become “woke.” I know I still say things and believe things that are afield from what they ought to be. I’m sure I’ll never be done improving my understanding of my fellow human beings.

To bring this back around to apologies, “old tweets” scandals similarly often disappoint when it comes to how celebrities respond when their past words are dug up. We see a lot of “it was a long time ago” and “humor is about pushing boundaries,” and of course there was Shane Gillis’s offer to apologize “to anyone who was actually offended” (emphasis mine.) Again, there’s often little effort to engage with why it matters that these things were said and more a desire to hurry everyone along and move past this. I have yet to see a celebrity in this situation who’s given what I'd consider a “Dan Harmon apology,” one that makes me go, “Okay, they really get it.”

In light of this topic, I’ve been thinking about how to apply it to myself, to acknowledge past problems without sweeping them under the rug or making excuses for them. While, to my reasonably-confident reflection, there aren’t any statements from my past that rival the sort of “jokes” I’ve brought up here, that doesn’t mean I can’t recognize times when I’ve erred. So, since it feels appropriate with the new year, I’d like to begin an annual tradition of addressing some old posts on this blog. I don’t know how many there are in total, and I’m sure I’ll continue to uncover new ones as my thoughts continue to evolve, so my plan is to look at twelve a year.

I decided not to delete the old posts, even though I realize that some things I’ve written can be offensive. There’s an argument to be made either way, but I came down on the side to leave them up – nothing ever fully goes away on the Internet anyway. Instead, I’m going to leave the posts as they are (mostly – I have one exception, which I include below) but add a disclaimer recognizing the issues with it.

To be honest, many of the posts in this round weren’t necessarily problematic when they were written (maybe I’m going easy on myself for this first go-around.) The majority of them deal with celebrities who were since accused of sexual harassment or assault, but I do have some where I very truly wrote about opinions that I now realize were ill-informed or where I made excuses for someone else’s problematic areas because I wanted to be less critical of them. I’ve linked all the relevant posts in this write-up, and my 2020 disclaimers will be shown here as well as placed at the start of each individual post itself.

House of Cards review (06/24/14) - I wrote this review in 2014, before the allegations against Kevin Spacey came out. I remember it was a hard one for me to process initially, because I’d been a big fan of Spacey, and I had a kneejerk reaction to half-want to make excuses. It was a short-lived reaction, but that doesn’t make it better. Since then, I’ve taken more care to interrogate my responses to allegations against people I’ve liked. As for Spacey, he’s one that I’ve really been unable to watch at all since I came to terms with the allegations; I can’t see his face without thinking about what he did to Anthony Rapp and the others. 

2017 Tony Awards review (06/12/17) - Again, I wrote this review before I knew about the allegations against Kevin Spacey. Here, it’s particularly gross that Spacey’s hosting duties include a closet joke, when he in fact didn’t come out until he wanted to control the narrative after being accused of trying to assault a 14-year-old boy, giving fuel to homophobes who equate gay men with pedophilia. Way to throw the community under the bus, creep.

Top Five Performances: 2017 Tony Awards (06/20/17) - Rounding off my old write-ups involving Kevin Spacey. I didn’t know he was such a predator when I wrote it, but it still makes me cringe to look back on it now. As much as we might like to associate talent with being a decent human being, that obviously isn’t the case, and Spacey’s talent doesn’t make up for his crimes.

Favorite "Characters": Jonathan Van Ness - Queer Eye (05/22/19) - This is the one instance where I did edit my original post. Jonathan Van Ness came out as non-binary some time after I did this write-up, and so I’ve changed some of the language to better align with his identity. While he’s said he still uses he/him pronouns (among others – he seems open to all the pronouns,) I took out words like “guy” and “man” and adjusted accordingly.

"That Old-Time Racial Insensitivity" - Buster Mondays (05/25/15) -
I get that my opinion on the level of racism in Buster Keaton’s films isn’t really helpful or welcome. While I do still think that the racism in Buster’s movies, for the most part, isn’t as egregious as some of the material I’ve seen in other films from that era, that doesn’t particularly matter. “Not as racist as it could have been,” as a designation, serves no point beyond me wanting to feel better about liking Buster’s work in spite of its occasional racist content. This was an unnecessary post, and it’s clear I went easy on Buster because I’m such a fan of his work. 

Top Five Roles: Lee Pace (04/08/15) - I paid lip service to this in the write-up, but it should have been said more strongly. Lee Pace shouldn’t have played either Calpernia in Soldier’s Girl or Roy in The Fall. His talent doesn’t negate the fact that a trans actress and a disabled actor should have been cast in these roles and lost opportunities because Lee Pace was cast instead.

Top Five Roles: Johnny Depp (08/13/15) - Johnny Depp was one of my favorite actors once upon a time. I thought he was fantastically-interesting and creative. Even though it had been a while since I’d really loved any recent work of his when I wrote this post, and it was even later that I heard the allegations against him, it was still a rough one. I don’t know whether he was doing the same shit back in the day or if it was only in recent years, but it both makes me mad and saddens me that some truly great roles have been tainted for me.

X-Men review (12/12/15) - I was a fan of Bryan Singer for a number of years, and although his was a case where I did hear about allegations against him years before MeToo and TimesUp, I’m sorry to say that I bought into his counter claim, that allegations against him were lies motivated by homophobia. I believed that the accusations of abuse were attempts to tear down an openly-gay director, and so I continued to watch his films without guilt for many years.  It wasn’t until a more recent article came out detailing allegations against him from multiple accusers that I really faced up to it.

X-Men: United review (01/08/16) - Bryan Singer again. This was the first film of his that I ever saw, and I really loved it. Singer is one whose films I have a hard time watching now, and, since X2 is the film I probably have the fondest memories of, it’s the one that was the biggest bummer to lose. Obviously, the worst thing about predators like Singer, by far, is what they did to their victims, but another thing about them that sucks is that their crimes retroactively taint things I really liked.

X-Men: Days of Future Past review (06/17/14) - I really enjoyed Days of Future Past when it came out and, regrettably, welcomed Bryan Singer’s return to the X-Men franchise. Once again, it sucks that a film has been soiled by the presence of a powerful predator. 

X-Men: Apocalypse review (06/09/16) - One more Bryan Singer X-Men movie. Even though the overall MCU and the DC TV shows have definitely upped the ante for me when it comes to superhero media, I enjoyed this franchise for a good many years, but I have a hard time watching any of Singer’s films now. At least we still have First Class and Logan.

Bohemian Rhapsody review (12/21/18) - Okay, so the whole second half of my added disclaimers for the year are basically a requiem for my fandom of Bryan Singer. This is the only Singer film (yes, Dexter Fletcher took over after he was fired, but Singer is still the credited director) that I saw after the TimesUp-era rumors started resurfacing. Even though, as I’ve said, these were far from the first allegations I heard against Singer, I was far more ready to listen to them this time. In light of that, I was uncomfortable with the idea of seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, but I still saw it. If I were doing this again today, I’d hope I would choose not to see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment