"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Favorite Characters: Kara Zor-El a.k.a Supergirl (Supergirl)


The new season of Supergirl premiered this week, which got me thinking about the show, its titular Kryptonian heroine, and the various shows and films out there fronted by lady superheroes (the number may be small, but it is growing.) Now, this post isn’t about throwing shade on any other female-led superhero show or movie. I love Carol, I love Diana, I love Jessica, I love those without their own movies like Hope, and I love those without powers like Peggy. There’s room in my heart for all kinds of heroines. However, mine is a brain that likes to select favorites, and when it comes to superpowered women, Kara Zor-El is my favorite. Today’s post is about trying to figure out why that is (and, also, suddenly realizing that I somehow never did a Favorite Characters post on this delightful character and knowing that had to be rectified immediately.)

So why is Supergirl the one that has me buying red fabric to make a cape for a certain forthcoming Halloween costume? This may be a selfish reason, but I’ve realized that what it really comes down to is how relatable I find her. And really, that’s what so many of us want to see, right? It’s why “representation matters” is such a watchcry (and why I’m so protective of my wonderful ace comics-version Jughead Jones,) and it’s why Reddit trolls freak out over what they perceive as people of color and women “horning in” on turf that they’ve always considered “theirs.” And while other heroines might have sicker moves that make me punch the air or inspiring qualities that make me want to be more like them, I see the ways that Supergirl reminds me of me. And that reverberates in that deep-down part of me that wants to see myself reflected in a hero.

I love that Kara Zor-El is absolutely, 100% a millennial superhero. She’s driven and hard-working, but as much as she wants to have it all together (both as a hero and as a reporter,) she wrestles with self-doubt. She’s passionate about justice and always wants to do the right thing, but she frets over her decisions and beats herself up over her mistakes. Work-life balance is an eternal struggle – or in her case, superheroism-work-life balance – but she still cherishes her relationships and loves to have fun, be it with a binge-athon over takeout or a high-stakes game night. She wants to get everything right but often feels like she gets nothing right, has sky-high ambitions but often feels like she’s getting nowhere, can struggle to summon faith in herself but recognizes when others discount her abilities. I love this young hero who can be kind of a mess but never, ever stops trying.

I have so much affection for Kara Zor-El’s humungous heart. I see it in the way she agonizes when her actions lead to someone she loves being hurt, either physically or emotionally, how it pains her at a soul level to cause a loved one or an innocent pain. I love the way her compassion extends most to people who are oppressed and the way she reserves who fiercest anger for those who traffic in hate; nothing makes her rage like unfairness or unkindness, and she genuinely doesn’t understand why someone would be hateful to others because of what they are. And this is maybe a silly example, but I think her heart also shows in her outpouring of joy at simple pleasures, from ice cream and potstickers to, most recently, her new supersuit (with pants!)

Finally, I appreciate that, as much as Kara Zor-El puts on herself in terms of responsibility and keeping others safe, she very much knows how to fight as part of a team. This isn’t something she’s always nailed – anyone who deals with self-doubt will have their moments when accepting help feels to them like admitting defeat – but it is something we’ve seen from her nearly from day one, when she reveals her secret to James and Winn and enlists both of them in helping her navigate the whole superhero thing. Whether it’s relishing the chance to fight alongside her Kryptonian cousin, working shoulder to shoulder with J’onn and Alex at the DEO, or taking a new hero like Nia under her wing, Kara has always valued her Superfriends and non-powered allies. There’s something I really love about that.

These are the reasons why, even when the plots are silly or the messaging is heavy-handed, I will always love Supergirl. Over the years, I’ve fallen in love with plenty of the show’s elements, especially many of the characters and the relationships between them, but there’s something special about Kara Zor-El that will forever be special for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment