"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, July 8, 2019

Top Five Songs: Davy Jones (The Monkees)


Davy was never my favorite, either on the show or as a member of the band, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t like him. Each of the Monkees bring/brought something unique to the group and contributed to their eclectic sound, and Davy’s repertoire includes some terrific songs. Here are my favorites of his (note: as with Micky and Mike, these are mainly songs featured on the show, as I’m still not well-versed enough to have much deeper pulls than that.)

“She Hangs Out” – Hands down, my favorite Davy song.  This Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. tune is just so blame cool.  The melody and lyrics are simple, but the groove is really infectious, and I love how much personality Davy brings with his vocals.  A number of his songs can sound sort of generically “nice,” but in this song, there’s real attitude in his voice that comes through loud and clear.  I’m also a big fan of his groovy dancing in the video.

Best moment:  Probably the second verse, which starts, “I heard you taught your sister the bugaloo.”  There’s this edge/almost growl in Davy’s vocals that’s really appealing, and I especially love how he sounds on, “Well, she can teach you a thing or two” – something about the rhythm and the descending melody just works so well.

“Daydream Believer” – And here’s the most iconic Davy song.  This number, from the album The Birds, the Bees, and the Monkees, is the one Mike and Mickey performed as a tribute to Davy when I saw them in concert, and it’s easy to see why.  It’s probably the first song that comes to mind when I think of Davy Jones, with its catchy melody and terrific vocals.  The video is a classic too, with Davy grooving in front of that big rainbow-colored background.

Best moment:  I have to go with the chorus, so simple and singable but so great.  I especially like the syncopation and melody of “...to a daydream believer and a homecoming queen.”  I’m also really fond of that tiny little lick right after, “The 6 o’clock alarm would never ring.”

“Star Collector” – This is such a fun song, a trippy little ditty from Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.  There are numerous terms for the type of person described here, someone who “only aims to please / Young celebrities,” but I have a liking for “star collector,” which is evocative but less vulgar than some terms.  The rhythm is so driving and peppy, and I enjoy Davy’s energetic performance.

Best moment:  I really like the verses, especially those starting lines with the descending notes, a la “Give her my autograph and tell her…”

“Valleri” – On a basic level, it can seem like there’s not much to this song, but it’s really good at what it does.  Initially released as a single, it later appeared on The Birds, The Bees & the Monkees (side note:  I’ve realized that every song on my list is from the group’s fourth album or later.  Evidently, that’s where I think Davy really hit his groove.)  I like the sharp contrast between the driving chorus and the mellower verses, and that interlude with the guitar solo really changes the feel of it.  This is another one where Davy brings a lot of attitude with his performance.  A lot of the songs he sings are very “clean cut,” but I like it when he throws a little edge in there.

Best moment:  I like the rhythm and rise of the chorus, that “Va-a-a-all-eri…”  And I love that fuzzy little guitar riff, so good!

“Daddy’s Song” – I love this number from Head.  Even though Davy came from a musical-theatre background, a fact that the show gives occasional nods to (a la singing and dancing to “Swanee River” as a gag,) it’s not something the band’s music ever really leaned into.  This song, though, has more of a showtune feel to it, both in the instrumentals and in the story it tells. The bouncy arrangement and vocals contrast nicely with the more wistful lyrics, and I love the negative-image effect created in the movie as it jumps between shots of him dancing in the black room with the white suit and the white room with the black suit.

Best moment:  The third verse, where it gets sad but Davy’s singing and dancing is still so bright.  I especially love, “But he just couldn’t understand / That his father was not a man / And it all was just a game.”

No comments:

Post a Comment