"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, April 22, 2019

Top Five Songs: Mike Nesmith (The Monkees)


As the sheer number of Top Five posts on this blog will tell you, I enjoy ranking just about anything, and Mike Nesmith is definitely my favorite Monkee, no getting around it.  As such, his songs never appear on the show or the albums often enough for my liking, but what we do get is pretty awesome.  Here are my favorite Mike songs.  (Note:  with Peter Tork, I had to branch out into whatever I could find available, but the show and the albums I’ve heard do offer enough good options that I can come up with a strong Top Five for Mike.  So, this post has the caveat of being the Top Five Mike Nesmith Songs I Know.)

“You Just May Be the One” – Short and sweet, but an excellent song; while it appears on the band’s third album, Headquarters, I prefer the version recorded for the show.  Of the ones that Mike both wrote and performed, it’s my favorite.  I like its strong rhythm and simple but evocative lyrics.  And on a side note, I really enjoy the video of the guys performing this one on the show.  It’s very straightforward, but there’s an air about it that makes me wonder if it reflects their delight at performing a song written by one of their own.  Davy and Peter both look so happy doing those “ahhs” in the bridge (I dunno, maybe they were just high, but I like to think they were excited to be doing Mike’s song,) and I love that bright smile that breaks up Mike’s intense look a couple times.

Best moment:  The bridge, hands down.  The melody is lovely, and Mike’s singing is so strong and blends well with the harmonies.  Here are his lyrics – “I saw when you walked by / The love light in your eye, / And I knew I must try / To win you more than as a friend. / I’m starting near the end, / And here I go again…”

 “Love is Only Sleeping” – This is my favorite Mike song that he didn’t write, from Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.  I love the smooth flow and soaring melody at the start of the verses compared with the groovy rhythm in the middle.  The opening guitar riff is also catchy, and Mike sounds really great singing this – maybe his best vocals for me.  Bonus points for that blue suit with the ruffled cuffs in the video!

Best moment:  Those drawn-out high notes at the start of each verse, a la “Sheeeee looked at meeeeee…”  Gorgeous!

 “The Girl I Knew Somewhere” – What a beautiful pop song written by Mike.  Although there is a version out there with him singing lead vocals, Micky’s take is the definitive one – weirdly enough, it was released as a B-side for a single but didn’t actually appear on any of their studio albums, although they used it on the show and it’s since been included on various compilations.  Fantastic melody with great instrumentals (that opening guitar riff!  that keyboard!)  I like the theme behind it too, the image of a guy so haunted by a past relationship that he can’t let himself be with another girl who reminds him of her.  Oh, and Mike echoing Micky’s lines in the final verse is wonderful as well.

Best moment:  Like I said, I have to give it up for the opening guitar riff – so catchy, and it sounds amazing.  For lyrics, my favorite lines come at the end of the first verse:  “You’re standing in the places and you’re staring down through faces / That bring to mind traces of a girl, a girl that I knew somewhere.”

“Salesman” – Another Pisces song that Mike didn’t write but sings the hell out of.  This is an interesting ditty with a nice groove and a cool sense of atmosphere, used well on the show in “The Devil and Peter Tork.”  It’s one of those songs that serve as a reminder of just how varied the Monkees’ catalog is.  I really love Mike’s singing here; his voice has a great quality to it.

Best moment:  Probably that little end-of-verse hook, “Short lifespan, good-time salesman.”  I also love how Mike sounds on the bridge, the “copper kettles” part.

“Sweet Young Thing” – I debated between this song, from the band’s self-titled debut album, and “Mary, Mary” for the fifth slot, but I ultimately went with this one.  I’ve never been a “country” person, but I do like these country-infused pop/rock songs that Mike writes and performs.  The instrumentals are busy and exciting, and the violin adds a lot.  And while I tend to think of Micky as the best vocalist in the group, Mike is no slouch either, which is well demonstrated here.

Best moment:  I love the vocals leading into the chorus, the, “And it’s love you bring” – again, “exciting” feels like the most fitting adjective.  My favorite lines for this song come at the end of the second verse:  “Turned on to the sunset like I’ve never been before, / I listen for your footsteps and your knock upon the door.”

No comments:

Post a Comment