"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Bring It On: Songs 16-18


Wrapping up Bring It On’s score today with its final three songs, including the lovely “Cross the Line” and the charming “I Got You.”  An enjoyable end to a show that, while not in the same league as In the Heights or Hamilton, carries itself much better than you might expect it to.

 “Eva’s Rant” – Quick little “I’d have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you meddling kids” number for Eva.  As a song, it’s pretty lightweight, but it includes some amusing displays of attitude.

Best lyrics:  “Well, whoop de doo you caught me. / Okay, everything is true. / I’ll still wake up a winner, / And you’ll still wake up you.”

“Cross the Line” – This isn’t even a song performed in the show – it’s the backing track to Jackson’s competition routine.  Still, I adore it.  It has such lovely themes of bravery and risk-taking, and I like that it focuses more on self-victory than on trophies.  Plus, the melody is gorgeous; I especially love the final, triumphant chorus that comes in after the bridge.

Best line:  “I wanna fall just to feel alive. / I feel like following me tonight.”

“I Got You” – The closing number is just delightful, a playful friendship anthem featuring a plethora of shoutouts to great relationships (both real and fictional) and excellent rhymes to match.  A fun, uplifting end to the show.

Best lyrics:  “I thought you were a spoiled rich / Uptight little white bitch, / Now I think you’re just white!”

No comments:

Post a Comment