"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Favorite Characters: Lai Yiu-fai (Happy Together)


A Little TLC(w) addition to my Happy Together review:  “Recommend?  In General – Yes.  It takes its time and it wanders a little, but I’d say it’s rewarding.  Tony Leung Chiu-wai – Yes again.  Lovely, subtle work here, and it’s probably one of the least – I don’t know, self-aware? – instances I’ve seen of a straight actor playing a gay character.  There’s never an air of ‘Tony Leung Chiu-wai Plays Gay!!’ about it.”  This was the latest of Leung’s many collaborations with Wong Kar-wai that I rewatched, and it’s still just as beautiful as the first time (a few spoilers.)



Leung has played a lot of messed-up people for Wong, mainly guys who’ve been kicked around by love in one way or another, but I think Fai might be the most messed-up of all.  He can be aching to watch, because you can see that he’s a decent, basically-normal guy who’s had his head done in by his relationship with Ho Po-wing.  It’s especially sad because even he knows that Po-wing is no good for him, but every time his ex-boyfriend asks to “start over,” Fai is a goner.  In the period of their relationship the story centers on, Fai tries to actively resist falling for Po-wing again – he’s almost physically brittle when Po-wing tries to be affectionate with him, and he throws up walls at every turn.  But even then, despite what have to be Fai’s best efforts, Po-wing slips back into Fai’s life and starts working his way back into Fai’s heart.



And it is not a healthy relationship to be in – for either of them, really.  Fai gets spun around by Po-wing’s manipulation and sucked into the upheaval of his life, but it’s not just Fai getting dumped on by the lover he can’t quit.  Fai’s own feelings for Po-wing mess him up but good, and he does some objectively-crappy stuff for fear of losing him.  In a way, Fai is two different people with and without Po-wing, because when Fai is with him, he only becomes what they do to each other when they’re together.  When they’re apart, even with Po-wing’s shadow still haunting the apartment, we see a different Fai.



I don’t think there are many actors who can quietly break my heart as well as Tony Leung Chiu-wai can, as he’s demonstrated to me numerous times, and this film is a prime example.  Nearly everything about Fai is tragic to me.  Being stuck in Argentina, his “holiday” long over but unable to afford his way home.  Trying to resist Po-wing, falling for him anyway, and hating himself for it.  Feeling his affections getting toxic and doing bad things to try and keep his lover (tragic but not perfect – I like that Fai has some sizable flaws.  His culpability in his situation and his own sketchy decisions don’t make what he’s going through any less sad.)  Growing close to Chang but still keeping himself just as arm’s length.



Here, the crowning heartbreak moment is the “tape recorder” scene.  It just about knocked me off my feet the first time I saw it.  Such rawness and vulnerability, so much letting go for a character who’s often all about burying his feelings, but it’s still such a gentle scene.  In this moment, without words and only seeing about half of his face, we see a man break wide open.  This time around, an A.E. Housman poem came to mind:  “He would not stay for me, and who can wonder? / He would not stay for me to stand and gaze. / I shook his hand, and tore my heart in sunder, / And went with half my life about my ways.”  What goes on between Fai and Chang is very quiet and understated, and it’s hard to say exactly what Fai feels for Chang, but whether his affection is love or friendship, the emotion of it, what we see in the scene, is what I think we find in the poem.  Just stunning work.

No comments:

Post a Comment