"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Torchwood: Series 1, Episode 3 – “Ghost Machine” (2006)

Torchwood got off to a rocky start for me – despite some hints of its potential, it was largely uneven for the first couple episodes, and up and down throughout quite a bit of its first season.  However, there were a handful of episodes that I thought worked, and for me, this was the first one to reassure me about what the show really could be.  Forget glimpses and moments; this was a fairly solid episode altogether, and it’s what helped me stick with the show until I made it to the next solid one.

When Gwen confiscates an alien device from a young delinquent, it activates in her hands, showing her a young boy frightened and alone in a Cardiff train station during the London evacuation.  The team realizes that this “ghost” is a remnant of emotional energy converted by the device into an apparitional presence.  Other places in Cardiff are similarly charged with lingering emotion, and Owen comes across a ghost he can’t let lie – past, present, and future collide before it’s all said and done.

One thing I do appreciate about Torchwood is that, due to the nature of the Rift, it’s not always about fighting aliens.  Just as often, it’s about alien technology in human hands, which offers more variety in the case-of-the-week narratives.  Here, I really like the concept of the ghost machine.  It’s not exactly original, but it’s well-done; the scenes of both the past ghosts and the present encounters are really effective, especially Gwen’s talk with Tom and Owen witnessing Ed and Lizzie.  I also like the added note that the machine makes the user, not just see the ghosts, but feel what they’re feeling. 

It’s that note that really sinks into Owen’s part of the story.  I could buy him getting invested in what happened with Lizzie and Ed, anyway, but having felt Lizzie’s emotions, it makes all the more sense why he gets so obsessed with it.  The empathic nature of the machine forced him into Lizzie’s shoes, so in a way, when he looks for Ed in the present, it’s for both their sakes.  By now, I’ve seen Torchwood enough that I can find the good parts in Owen amongst the early unpleasantness (with the exception of “that scene” in the pilot,) but my first time through, this episode was my first indication that, while still damaged and jerkish, Owen could be more than just an a-hole.

Other little bits that I like.  The “Splott” conversation still cracks me up, and the gun training montage is good, though more for its entertainment value than for its likely effectiveness – there are plenty of times in Torchwood’s first season where Jack doesn’t quite feel like Jack, but having sexually-charged gun-training sessions with his employees totally seems like something he would do.  And although Gwen/Rhys doesn’t always work for me, I do pretty much always like Rhys, and in this episode, I like the reminder Gwen gets of how much she loves him; she could use that every so often.

On the flipside, I think the twist with the machine in the second half doesn’t really make sense, given what’s already been established about how it works.  There are a few cheesy scenes that I know are supposed to be serious, which just makes them cheesier, and as usual for the early episodes, there’s not enough Ianto.

No comments:

Post a Comment