"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Some Thoughts about the Into the Badlands Season 2 Finale

Into the Badlands wrapped up its second season earlier this week.  Getting into spoilers here (for this episode, as well as Sleepy Hollow’s “Ragnarok” and Orange is the New Black’s “The Animals.”)

After being separated for the whole of the season, Sunny and Veil finally find their way back to one another, with Sunny fighting and slashing his way across the wastelands to return to his family and Veil holding out in a hellish prison, hoping Sunny’s still alive but having no assurance of that fact.  In the finale, Sunny has finally made it back to the Badlands and hits Quinn’s compound with Bajie, tearing it up something good, and Veil and Sunny are finally reuinited… for about two seconds.

I know that’s an exaggeration.  They share a beautiful time-stopping kiss together and Sunny is introduced, at last, to his son Henry.  There are all kinds of baddies (and explosions) for Sunny to contend with, and Quinn in particular has a knock-down drag-out fight with Sunny that gets super dicey in places.  It seems like, after all the pain and all the time apart, Sunny and Veil are going to get their hard-fought chance to begin a life together, and the show does give that its due.  It just doesn’t feel like it when, at the last second, Quinn staggers back to his feet and grabs Veil, holding a blade to her as he demands that Sunny hand over Henry in exchange for Veil.  Sunny cries out in anguish as the woman he loves makes the choice, stabbing Quinn through her own body to take him down with her.  With her final breaths, she implores Sunny to teach Henry how to be good.

This episode naturally brought to mind the deaths of Abbie on Sleepy Hollow and Poussey on Orange is the New Black, and after my brain was able to compose thoughts more complex than, They did it, they really killed her – damnit, I started to compare my feelings here to my reactions there.

First of all, since Veil is very squarely Sunny’s love interest and her characterization has, if only slightly, coasted on that a bit, that makes this the most classic fridging of the three deaths.  Veil does have a small amount of agency in her death scene – if she had to die, I like that it was while simultaneously killing Quinn, who was such a skin-crawlingly vile captor to her – but ultimately, she’s dead so Sunny can mourn her (and feel guilt about her death being caused by his past sins catching up to him, as Nathaniel Moon hinted to him earlier in the season.)

In terms of comparing it to the other two episodes, Veil’s death doesn’t make me see red to the extent that Abbie’s did.  Sleepy Hollow made me feel like it was throwing half of its foundation as a show in the garbage, undermining that wonderful character’s worth to the series while reframing her entire narrative as having been about propping up Ichabod’s story.  I don’t get that with Veil, in part because, while I really liked her a lot, Into the Badlands is more of an ensemble and has never been “about” Veil the way that Sleepy Hollow was about Abbie.  On a more positive note, I don’t really see the show devaluing her.  It will be telling how the series moves forward, if the events here continue to reverberate with Sunny for a long time, but at least in this moment, the episode is heavy with the loss that Veil’s death brings.

That said, Poussey’s death was done in such a way that I lamented that it had to be her even as I understood the story reasons why they did it.  It was a heartbreaking episode for me, and I still miss Poussey terribly (it’s going to be such a different experience watching season 5 without her in it.)  But just as Veil’s death doesn’t infuriate me like Abbie’s, it also doesn’t move me like Poussey’s.  That’s because the story doesn’t do the work to make it tragic but inevitable.  In fact, it’s pretty downright sloppy.  There’s no way Quinn should’ve still been alive after Sunny running him through multiples times with his sword (with rings on it!), but even if that wasn’t the case, there’s nooooo way Sunny would’ve turned his back on Quinn without cutting off his head first.  After what happened with them at the end of last season, Sunny would’ve made damn sure Quinn was really dead, and the way he’s freely slicing off limbs and heads and cutting a dude in half earlier in the episode only highlights how stupid it is for him not to do the same here.

So, if Abbie’s death left me shaking my fist and Poussey’s left me shaking with tears, Veil’s left me shaking my head.  My prevailing thought, still, is for what?  Why was it so essential that she had to die in such a hastily-done way, and why am I seeing such a disappointing fridging on a show I’ve come to expect more of?  Badly done, show – badly done.

No comments:

Post a Comment