"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Original: Greeting My Grandfather from Opposite Ends of the Church (2012)

Greeting My Grandfather from Opposite Ends of the Church

You sang with the Sunday choir,
Which means you sat without fail
At the front of the church
On display,
Somewhere between the pulpit
And the curtain covering the baptismal.

Ours was the third pew from the back.
Though we never owned it,
We staked a claim on it weekly –
Like students who chafe under assigned seating,
But given their freedom,
Return to the same desks every day.

This left a sanctuary between you and me,
All those parishioners
In sardine-can rows of pews
Separating us.

So, when instructed to rise
And greet our neighbors,
Yours was never a hand
I could shake.
The hearty “hellos”
And Sunday smiles
Weren’t built to span
More than a pair of pews,
Couldn’t reach someone
A congregation away.

But every week,
You’d greet me with a straight-backed salute,
And I would respond in kind. 
I would fix my gaze
Past the pulpit
And wait for your eyes
To fall on mine.
Then we’d share a “good morning,”
You and I,
That leapt over every stained-glass window.

I don’t know when the sight
Began seeping from your eyes –
If there were Sundays
When you couldn’t see the shape
And color of me,
But I know
You never missed a salute.

Did you turn, I wonder,
Toward the third pew from the back,
To where, unseeing,
You knew I would be,
And lift your hand to your brow,
Trusting I raised mine in reply?

No comments:

Post a Comment