"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, April 1, 2016

Trevor Noah: The Daywalker (2009)



Since both Last Week Tonight and The Daily Show were dark this week, I thought I’d review another Trevor Noah standup special in lieu of the usual News Satire Roundup.  IMDb tells me this was Noah’s first televised comedy special, filmed in Johannesburg and broadcast in South Africa.  In other words?  Thank you, YouTube!  Both of the other specials I’ve seen from Noah (as well as all his work on The Daily Show, obviously) were made in the U.S., and while he spends plenty of time talking about Africa in all of his comedy, these other pieces I’ve seen are definitely framed for U.S. audiences.  Other than a handful of shorter clips, this is the first piece I’ve seen made specificially for South Africans, and it’s interesting to see what Noah’s work is like in that setting.

I’ve read that Noah tailors his routines a lot based on where he’s performing, and from what I’ve seen, that seems to bear out.  As a result, much of the comedy here is about people or cultural norms that I know very little about.  The hour-and-20-minute show covers all of South Africa’s presidents (crazy to think that basically every person in that audience was alive for the country’s first democratic election,) including a lamentation that Jacob Zuma, the current (then and now) president, is a disappointment, comedy-wise, and a fantastic bit about Nelson Mandela’s 91st birthday party.  There’s also a ton of material on similiarities and differences between various groups in South Africa – white, Black, colored (meaning mixed race,) and Indian – with a number of specific geographic references, snatches of assorted languages, and a wide array of accents.  However, even though certain references alluded me and I’m sure it’d be a lot funnier to someone who’s familiar with those cultures and knows those politicians, I still got plenty out of it.  Funny is funny, and Noah’s comedy doesn’t have to be packaged specifically for me to work for me.  (Note:  his various African accents are a lot thicker here than the one he typically uses in the U.S. now, and there are some jokes that my American ears simply couldn’t decipher.)

Something that I found really interesting is his stories about being colored/mixed.  Now, this is a common theme in Noah’s comedy, and I’d already heard some of these jokes in routines he’s done elsewhere, but while I knew that his experiences as a biracial person born during apartheid was unique, I didn’t realize that they were unique even among mixed South Africans.  As part of his introduction to the topic, he notes a light-skinned woman in the audience, asks if she’s colored, and then verifies that her parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents were all colored as well.  Because “colored” was a separate racial group under apartheid and racial groups weren’t supposed to mix, many (most?) biracial people there came from families where everyone is biracial.  Therefore, having one Black parent and one white parent wasn’t the norm even for a mixed person.  Having heard it and knowing what I know about apartheid, it makes sense, but it had never occurred to me before.  This routine offered some interesting tidbits I hadn’t known; I knew that Noah’s father was kept a secret until after apartheid ended, but I didn’t know that secret even extended to his mother’s side of the family, and while I knew that some people mistakenly thought Noah had albinism (rather than being mixed,) I’d never heard him talk about it, and his story of rolling with his “albino crew” was pretty fun.

Warnings

Thematic elements, sexual references, a little swearing, and alcohol references.

No comments:

Post a Comment