"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Original: Making Time (2012)



Posted a day ahead of the usual end-of-month schedule so as not to disrupt the Sunday Who Review.  Given the subject of today's poem, it feels appropriate.

*          *          *
 
Making Time
 


If I could make time,
I’d start small,
Fashioning seconds by hand.

Once I’d formed enough moments
To string into minutes,
I’d lay them under my pillow
So I could catch
A bit of extra sleep at night.

Of course, an hour
Is really the shortest length
Of marketable time,
So I’ve have to expand
Before long.
I’d carve careful hours
To be bought by overworked friends
Looking to hang on
To the weekend
A little longer.

Soon, I’d have myself
A bustling little time-maker’s shop
With entire rows
Of summer afternoons,
A 2-for-1 rack
Of lost Daylight Saving’s hours,
And a glass case
Full of golden years
Polished to a good-old-days gleam.

No comments:

Post a Comment