"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Top Five Songs: Anyone Can Whistle



I haven’t written about the early Sondheim show Anyone Can Whistle before, probably because it’s super ‘60s and weird, and while I like it, so many his others are better – more melodic, more theatrical, more emotional.  However, there are some incredible songs in it.  There’s not much in theatre that’s quite like Anyone Can Whistle, and for me, this is the best it has to offer.

(Pictures are from both the original Broadway production and the 2010 Encores! cast.)


“There Won’t Be Trumpets” – Fay’s fierce but pragmatic belief in heroes is at the center of this number.  It’s the ultimate “All that is gold does not glitter” song, acknowledging that heroes are made by their deeds, not their fanfare.  Maybe it’s a bit too passive, waiting for someone to swoop in and fix things, but her sheer faith shows a kind of strength on its own, and I like that.

Best line:  “We can wait, what’s another day? / He has lots of hills to climb. / And a hero / Doesn’t come till the nick of time!”


“Simple” – A stunning scene-song, introducing us to the full force of Hapgood’s personality as he separate the sanes from the crazy.  The lyrics are crammed with twisted-logic syllogisms, and the ever-increasing layers of melody nicely parallel the chaos Hapgood is fomenting.

Best line (technically dialogue in the middle of the song, but I like it so much, I’m counting it anyway):  “They threw you out of your pulpit […]”  “Because I believed […] in God – they only believed in religion!”


“Come Play Wiz Me” – Here’s a fun, sexy love song between Hapgood and Fay, the latter of whom has grown considerably bolder thanks to a (French) disguise she’s adopted.  I like seeing Fay, who’s only used to being confident in private, losing some of her inhibitions with her new persona, and you’ve gotta like it when two people show their attraction by trading wordplay.

Best line:  “You like my style, yes? / My brand, yes? / Ze lay of my – how you say? – / Of my land, yes?”


“Everybody Says Don’t” – This solo is to die for; I love it so much.  It’s Hapgood’s anthem, his charge to Fay to stop letting other people’s limits hold her back.  The theme is gorgeous, and the melody builds so well, so triumphantly.  When I need to psych myself up, this is my go-to song.

Best line:  “Everybody says wait around for miracles, / That’s the way the world is made! / I insist on / Miracles, if you do them, / Miracles – nothing to them! / I say don’t, / Don’t be afraid!”


“See What It Gets You” – Up until now, Fay has looked to her hero, Hapgood, to save the day, but this is the moment when she realizes she can’t just sit and wait.  Heroes, she sees, can let you down, and sometimes, when the going gets toughest, all you can count on is yourself.  After relying on others and relying on disguises, Fay finally sees she has to rely on herself.

Best line:  “And if I’m not ready / And lightheaded, / I can’t stand here dumb! / So, ready or not, here – I hope – I come!”

No comments:

Post a Comment