"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Poem: Icarus on His Descent (2015)

Icarus on His Descent

Our kind has an apex,
A truth that most seem to know instinctively,
Though few have ever walked its borders.
That’s all right – I’ll be
Your depth finder in reverse,
Scraping the limits of our human reach in the sky,
And when I alight
With body-breaking impact,
You can discover all you need.
Unlike Pandora’s nightmare chest,
Icarus’s Black Box opens
Only to knowledge.

If I had sailed up to the Olympus heights,
Would that have made me a god?
If it had,
I’d have liked to be the deity
Of Wright brothers
And Everest bravers
And those who,
Looking at the Artemis-bow
Crescent curve of the moon,
See a destination.
I’d have served them well, I think;
Room enough to shelter
All the restless climbers and flyers
Within my wings.

My wings now fly without me.
As the wax that bound them to my body
Turns to liquid at Apollo’s ecstatic touch,
The feathers fan out in the wind
And scatter over my head.
They are the roamers now,
And must continue up and outward
While I proceed in a single direction,
Retracing my steps
At 9.8 meters per second per second.

To my father, I’m sorry.
Don’t blame your invention –
The last thing I want
Is for you to fear your own mind.
You dreamed a path
Out of a tangled wilderness,
Making aerial escapists
Of the both of us.
Vision like yours
Is bright as the sun that seared me,
And it is with your spirit
That I was ever able to rise.

The span of time
Will remember me as a cautionary tale,
And “flying too close to the sun”
Is doomed to forever denote
The danger of reckless ambition.
I will be the god,
Not of the flyers,
But the fallers,
The ones who should have known better
Than to stretch in vain
Toward something beyond their grasp.

To those who will hear my name
And see only melted wings,
Consider this.
Perhaps I did not simply blunder
Past the boundaries of our scope.

Perhaps I found a height,
A warmth,
A vantage point,
A light
Worth dying for.

No comments:

Post a Comment