"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Poem: The Epiphany (2013)

 
The Epiphany
 
 
 
Once I staggered in unknown darkness,
Unaware of my unsight.
I strove ahead,
Heedless of the surrounding
Formless void.
I was a preliterate child who,
Dragging her finger
Across the words of a page,
Thinks she reads.
 
Then a sudden spark
Tore through my unused eyes
And illuminated all the hollow places
I hadn’t known rang with echoes.
It howled like a song
I’ve never heard
That was plainly written
In hopeful anticipation of me.
It streaked across my inner sky
With a comet-fire flash,
Littering my sunless self
With sacred detritus
As it continued on its blazing way.
 
I cast my gaze about
And tried to blink away my wonder;
So this is what it is
To see.

No comments:

Post a Comment