"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

2014 Emmy Awards

 
For me, the Emmys were a bit of a mixed bag this year.  I loved some decisions, side-eyed others, and there were a few awards that genuinely surprised me in the midst of a lot of predictable ones.  As far as the telecast itself goes, I enjoyed Seth Meyers as a host.  He gives good smart-aleck without being overly biting.  All his digs at network TV made me smile, and, though there were a few too many McConaughey jokes overall, Meyers’s “Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey intro battle” with Amy Poehler was super fun.  Billy Crystal’s remarks about Robin Williams were lovely, and Weird Al’s rendition of the Game of Thrones theme was a delight.
 
Onto the awards.  First off, did Modern Family really need another win?  It’s a nice show, and I like it, but really?  It just makes me shake my fist all the more at the lack of love for The Mindy Project this year, or Community ever.  That said, I got a kick out of Ty Burrell’s speech “written by the kids of Modern Family.”  And as rote as Jim Parsons’s win was, I’m okay with it.  Maybe Sheldon’s possible aceness is bringing out my solidarity, but I still love Sheldon, and I thought he had a good year.
 
Drama was, predictably and well-deservedly, a near-sweep by Breaking Bad.  Of course it was going to win just about everything, and nobody was taking that trophy from Bryan Cranston.  And if Tyrion’s trial wasn’t enough to get Peter Dinklage another statue, I’m glad Aaron Paul won.  Still, that didn’t leave much love for other shows.  Maybe now that Breaking Bad is over, Hannibal can at least get a nomination or two (or twelve? please?) thrown its way.
 
Or a win for House of Cards, for that matter.  I’m surprised that we didn’t see a stronger showing from Netflix in general.  Kevin Spacey was my only pick for a possible Cranston upset, and I really wish Orange is the New Black had been better recognized.  As I hoped, though, the fabulous Uzo Aduba snagged a win for her sterling portrayal of Suzanne (too bad she got it at the pre-awards.  Bad form, Emmys!)
 
It was interesting to me that The Normal Heart won best TV movie.  I thought it was very well done, of course, but it’s always a little weird when something wins the top award in its genre and nothing else.  Writing, directing, acting – nada.  Fargo similarly took home few trophies (though it also grabbed a directing award,) but its best miniseries win wasn’t expected for me, since that show is so tight and insane and amazing. 
 
However, Sherlock’s snatching up of several top awards definitely surprised me.  To go from having zero Emmys (despite consistent nominations) to the triple whammy of best writing, lead actor, and supporting actor for a miniseries/TV movie is a big turnaround.  Have the Emmy voters joined tumblr?  I wish Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman had been around to accept their awards, though, especially Freeman.  I have a feeling he’d have been absolutely befuddled to win an Emmy, and that would’ve been some amusing television.

No comments:

Post a Comment