"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Sunday, July 13, 2014

2014 Emmy Nominations

 
What follows is by no means a comprehensive commentary on this year’s Emmy nominations.  Nope – this is my entirely biased reaction, offering my random observations about the nominations or lack thereof that interest me.
 
Since I already brought it up before, I’ll start with Orange is the New Black, which really raked in the nominations.  Its nods surprised me a few times, however.  At first, I was outraged when I thought that Taylor Schilling and Kate Mulgrew were the only actresses who were nominated (I know – first-world problems, right?), and that seemed preposterous; surely if the Modern Family guys can dominate the comedy categories for years in a row, they could recognize more than one of the talented supporting ladies of Litchfield.  Luckily, though, I kept scrolling and found Uzo Aduba, Natasha Lyonne, and Laverne Cox listed as guest actresses.  Silly, since all three appear in most or all episodes, but whatever.  Technicalities.  Then, I of course got annoyed at the lack of Samira Wiley love, since my girl Poussey was on fire this year and had a lot more to do than either Nicky or Sophia, but then I realized all of the show’s nominations are from its first season.  I suppose it’s just a little bit past the cutoff, so maybe Wiley will get her accolades next year.  If our current trio don’t split one another’s votes too badly, my money’s on Aduba – her performance as Suzanne is really incredible, and she’s all kinds of awesome.
 
Fellow Netflix original House of Cards also got a ton of nominations in the drama categories.  This might not be its year, since I don’t know if much can derail Breaking Bad’s last hurrah, but it’s great to see Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright Penn, and others being applauded for their stellar work.  With plenty of major nominations in both drama and comedy categories, Netflix has a lot to be proud of.
 
I’ll have several horses in the Miniseries and TV Movie races this year.  Fargo, Sherlock, and The Normal Heart are all well-represented.  I was surprised to see Sherlock submitting itself as a TV movie (in “His Last Vow”) – it was weird enough when it was considered a miniseries, since it’s obviously a series proper, but now to call a single episode a TV movie?  Just odd.  However, I’m thrilled to see Martin Freeman nominated twice, as a leading actor for Fargo (up against Benedict Cumberbatch and Fargo co-star Billy Bob Thornton) and a supporting actor for Sherlock.  Jim Parsons is another double-dipping nominee; in addition to his usual Big Bang Theory nod, he’s up for The Normal Heart as well.  As for The Normal Heart, while I’m happy for Mark Ruffalo, Julia Roberts, and Matt Bomer as well, I’m thrilled for Joe Mantello.  He was truly magnificent, and while I can’t see him beating out some of his competition, I’m so glad his tremendous performance was recognized.
 
While I was pretty much ready for it, I still think it’s bull that The Mindy Project didn’t get anything.  It has a terrific cast and some of the best sitcom writing on TV right now.  Even more egregious is Hannibal’s shut-out.  I know the drama categories are awfully packed, but that show is just a triumph.  At the bare minimum, how is it that Mads Mikkelsen got no love?  They could’ve submitted him for supporting actor.  Yes, Jim Carter is great on Downton Abbey, but Mr. Carson > Hannibal Lector?  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment