"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, September 27, 2010

Video Literacy Narrative

Here's my video literacy narrative.  Technical ineptness aside, I didn't like making this as while as I liked writing the print narrative.  I find that, for some reason, my fingers are a lot more eloquent than my tongue.  When I write, I can take all the time I need to craft my sentences just the way I want them.  I can (hopefully) come across sounding smart and well-spoken.  

When I speak unscripted, even when I take time beforehand to think about what I want to say and how I might want to say it, it comes out wrong.  My tongue trips me up, I lose my train of thought, and not all of my dots end up getting connected.  I don't really like that.

One advantage of the video format is that it allows me to incorporate visual aids, which I did in this narrative.  I explained the collection of commonplace notebooks that I use for writing down quotes from books/poems/movies/songs/plays/TV episodes that I like, and I was able to show some of them to the camera, pointing out specific quotes from different books.

Anyway, here's my narrative:


Youtube links for now - I couldn't get the videos uploaded directly.  If I can figure it out later, I'll change that.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed watching your video narrative quite a bit so thank you for that! I know exactly how you feel when you said your fingers are a lot more eloquent than your tongue. The video seems to put a lot of added pressure on and you don't have that much time to think of what to say, meanwhile you can take much more time when you are typing coming up with what you want to say and you can use the 'backspace' to try again!

    Those commonplace books are a good idea and I think it's neat that you have multiple going at one time! I should start one of those because I always hear or read a quote I love and think I'll remember that but I never do! It's interesting how the movie inspired you to do that. Great movie though.I also liked the Into the Woods quote. I love that show.

    I've never heard of the playwright you mentioned towards the end, (I'm going to have to check him out) but it was interesting what you said about him. You said you wished you would have thought of what he thought of and that it makes you a better writer. I couldn't agree with you more. That's how I feel when I read great playwrights or great author's and they really are great because they inspire you to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting that you write down quotes in “commonplace” books. I used to do something similar what I was junior high/high school age, although I never knew to call them that. I think the power of quotes is very strong. It’s interesting how influential these pithy statements can remain, whether they exist within their context or outside it.

    I share it bit of your feeling toward great writers. Oftentimes when I read certain works, I feel almost insignificant in the shadow of their greatness. Through that feeling, I can be inspired to become a better writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with Tim when you talked about how it's easier to express yourself through writing, sometimes. I focused a lot on how, when i'm about to argue with someone, I write down all the key points I want to make, or sometimes I even write down my argument and deliver it to them as a written form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not ever kept a commonplace book. The closet thing I had was one day I had an idea for Bionicle fanfiction. When I got home, I wrote down all the details I had thought of and drew a map to go with them. Then I quickly lost it. I remember A Series of Unfortunate Events. I should finish that series sometimes.

    ReplyDelete