"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022, PG-13)

*Premise spoilers.*

To be fair to this movie, 1) I’m still riding the recent Marvel high of Moon Knight and 2) I recently saw and adored Everything Everywhere All at Once, which positively devoured its multiverse premise. However, this one is a mixed bag for me. It features great acting and wild visuals, but I find the story pretty rocky.

Stephen Strange is tested physically, mentally, and ethically when he takes on the job of protecting America Chavez, a teenage girl who’s being hunted for her multiverse-hopping abilities. In the wrong hands, her power could destroy every reality, and the sorcerers of Kamar-Taj band together to protect her. Along the way, Strange and America take a ride into different universes, where Strange encounters different versions of himself and other people he knows.

I tried to avoid as much of the buzz leading up to this movie as I could, not wanting to hear all the rumors of surprise Variant cameos. On this front, the movie isn’t the full smorgasbord that I think a lot of fans were hoping for, but there are some fun appearances and surprises. That said, I think the movie could’ve done a lot more to stretch and have fun with the multiverse concept.

More so than the cameos and nuggets, though, I’m interested in the plot. I mean, Spider-Man: No Way Home is well-served by its nostalgia, but it wouldn’t have worked half as well if the story wasn’t serving the characters. And when it comes to story, I will say that Strange himself has good material to work with. He’s a character who didn’t appeal to me much in his debut film, but he’s grown on me over his later MCU appearances. Here, I like seeing him confront things that his Variants have done and wonder how much he is or isn’t like them, and his self-appointed task of protecting America makes him consider what type of hero, and what type of man, he really wants to be.

Unfortunately, a number of other plot elements fall flat for me. I won’t go into spoilery details in this review, but there was a lot of stuff that I felt either wasn’t well fleshed-out or didn’t feel consistent. While I enjoy our introduction to America, I wish she spent more of the movie with her own agency—she’s relegated to damsel/MacGuffin mode for much of the proceedings. And I’m really disappointed with how the film handles Wanda’s plot, which I don’t feel jibes with her experiences in WandaVision.

The trippy visuals were one of the first film’s best qualities, and that continues to be true here. The sorcery-fueled fights are awesome, and there’s a really cool-looking scene set within Wanda’s mindscape. We don’t get as much multiverse-jumping as I was expecting, but the other universes we do visit are distinct from the Sacred Timeline MCU universe in interesting ways, and I love the rapid-fire glimpses we get of other, wilder ones during Strange and America’s travels.

I’ve had time to come around to the accent Benedict Cumberbatch uses for Strange, and I think he turns in some nice work here. Xochitl Gomez is spunky and charming in her debut as America, Rachel McAdams gets a bit more to do as Christine than she did in the first film, and Benedict Wong’s Wong is a welcome, if underused, presence. But as far as acting goes, Elizabeth Olsen owns this movie. I don’t like what the story does with Wanda, but Olsen plays the hell out of it from top to bottom.

Warnings

Violence, language, disturbing images, drinking, and strong thematic elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment