"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, July 1, 2022

Matilda (1996, PG)

I didn’t actually read the book and watch the movie a week apart. This was a “so many books to review, so little time situation.” I read Matilda several months ago and only saw the movie this week, which is the way I like it. I often find that reading/rereading the source material shortly before watching the adaptation can make it hard for me to appreciate the adaptation for what it is, because I’m so busy fixating on every way that it’s not like the original. And to be sure, Matilda the movie isn’t exactly like Matilda the book and there are some big changes. But it always feels like Matilda, and for me, that’s the biggest hurdle for any adaptation.

The film tells the story of Matilda Wormwood, a 6-year-old genius born to a depressingly ordinary family that couldn’t care less about her extraordinary abilities.  Matters worsen when she starts school and comes face to face with the tyrannical Miss Trunchbull, whose strictness and inhumane punishments keep the student body in fear, and it’s up to Matilda to stand up to the Man (or Woman, in this case.)

I suppose I could’ve guessed beforehand, what with Danny DeVito and Rhea Pearlman playing Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood, but it really threw me for a loop when the movie started and they were in America. The book is exceedingly British to me, and at first, I wasn’t sure how well it would translate. There are a few odd wrinkles—the names are so British-sounding, and it seems weird to have American kids named Hortensia or Bruce Bogtrotter—but on the whole, it doesn’t affect things as much as I thought it would.

Because when you get down to it, this is definitely Matilda. Some dramatic license here and there, some extra bits of action and running gags, but the film is still very much the story of the extraordinary young genius working to outplay and outwit her sadistic principal. Plenty of classic scenes play out wonderfully similar to the book, such as Matilda’s early experiences at the public library and the terrific newt scene. They always stick close to the book where it really counts, and what’s been added mostly works (so much so that I’m pretty sure the musical lifts some plot elements from it.)

When it comes to the cast, we must begin with Mara Wilson, who’s terrifically endearing and rootable as Matilda. She does a nice job threading that needle of being scary brilliant but also a 6-year-old kid, and it’s clear she has fun with the more fantastical elements of the story. As the Wormwoods, Danny DeVito and Rhea Pearlman are equal parts awful and ridiculous, just as they should be. (Side note: DeVito also directed the film, which I didn’t realize until the end credits.) I really like Embeth Davidtz as Miss Honey, although it admittedly took me a few scenes to realize she wasn’t Sarah Paulson. I appreciate how the film characterizes her, maintaining her determined advocacy of Matilda (along with the other children) while also being believably intimidated by Miss Trunchbull. Speaking of the diabolical hammer-throwing champion herself, Pam Ferris is horrifically splendid in the role, by turns fearsome, laughable, sneering, and gross. She goes all in on this part, and it pays off really well. Finally, the other young actors alongside Wilson mostly acquit themselves nicely. I’m utterly charmed by Kiami Davael and her enormous glasses as Lavender.

Warnings

Strong thematic elements (including larger-than-life depictions of child neglect/abuse,) kids-movie violence, mild language, brief drinking, some “don’t try this at home,” and scary moments for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment