"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Top Five Songs: The Color Purple

https://www.theatermania.com/dyn/photos/theatermania/v1finw2400x0y0w1200h764/cynthia-erivo-as-celie-in-the-new-broadway-revival-of-the-119403.jpg 

Today, I’m staying home for all the grocery store workers keeping our shelves stocked.

Months ago, I bought a ticket to see the Broadway touring production of The Color Purple today, and that obviously isn’t going to happen now. The theatre is hoping to reschedule for the tour to come back at a later schedule, so for the time being, I’ll optimistically hold off on doing a review of the show itself based on the cast recording of the 2015 Broadway revival. But I have The Color Purple on my mind today – I listened to the album and rewatched the cast’s knockout performance at the 2016 Tonys, and so I thought I’d do a Top Five Songs write-up to hold me over until I can (hopefully) see the show live someday (spoilers.)

“Dear God – Shug” – I like Celie’s interludes singing to God, and this one might be my favorite. I love Celie awakening to desire and affection for Shug. After all that’s been taken from and inflicted on her, this is a moment for herself as she marvels at the beautiful woman before her.

Best lyric: “I wash her body, / And it feel like I’m prayin’. / Try not to look, / But my eyes ain’t obeyin’.”

“What About Love?” – The reprise is gorgeous too, but I do love the initial duet of the song, Celie and Shug discovering their love for one another. It’s so tender and gentle, and their voices blend beautifully, lifting one another up and finding shelter in each other in the midst of all their woes.

Best lyric: “I want you to be / A story for me / That I can believe in forever.”

“African Homeland” – I love this song, pieced together from Nettie’s letters about her experiences with missionaries in Africa. I especially love her reaction to first arriving in Africa and her later thoughts on the village women who are suspicious of her for teaching girls to read. After all that Celie’s been through, it’s wonderful at this moment to learn about the life Nettie was able to have, which is what Celie wanted more than anything.

Best lyric: “You could put everything I knew / In a thimble. / What we’re taught to be / Don’t be resemble / The kings and queens / Who for thousands of years, / Ruled magnificent cities / Washed away by tears.”

“Celie’s Curse” – I feel a little weird about including this song, since Mister spends so much of the musical being terrible. But of course, terrible characters can have great songs too – just ask a Disney villain! In the end, though, I had to put it on the list, in large part because of how Isaiah Johnson tears it up on the recording. He sounds incredible, especially at the end as Mister realizes he has to show his good in deeds rather than just talking about it.

Best lyric: “So tell me how a man do good / When all he knows is bad?”

“I’m Here” – Okay, so I listened to the full cast recording then immediately rewatched the Tony performance, which meant I heard the end of “I’m Here” twice in the span of about 15 minutes. But it still made my eyes well up both times. It’s just so gorgeous. Cynthia Erivo’s vocals are breathtaking, and this anthem of self-love, Celie picking herself up in the face of heartbreak, gets me every single time.

Best lyric: “Got my eyes, / Though they don’t see as far now. / They see more ‘bout / How things really are now…” 

No comments:

Post a Comment