"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Bring It On: Songs 6-10


Though not, in my opinion, as strong as the first batch of songs in the show, there’s some good stuff in here.  Today’s post takes us through the end of Act I into the start of Act II.

“Friday Night, Jackson” – Bringing it again with the tight scene-song.  Nice hooks mixed with plot and good character moments – I especially enjoy Twig being into Bridget and Danielle starting to get a sense of what Campbell can really do.

Best lyric:  “She’s the kind of brave that I wish I were!”

“Something Isn’t Right Here” – This one’s just so-so, I think.  It moves the plot forward in a necessary way, with Campbell recognizing Eva as the villain of the story (even though no one else can see it,) but there’s nothing too wild about the melody or lyrics.  Also, having Campbell not knowing the word “redistricted” feels like an easy joke to me.

Best lyric:  “Is this all coincidence? / Just unrelated incidents / That happened to occur? / Miraculously making way for her?”

“Bring It On” – The Act I finale, while not super long or intense, still brings it (I know, I’m sorry) where it counts.  Realizing what she’s up against with Eva, Campbell has her overwhelmed moment but then moves through it and gets down to business.  I love the determined tone of the chorus, perfect for Campbell’s resolve not to let herself be beaten.

Best lyric:  “More than replaced, / It’s like she’s erased the best of me.”

“It’s All Happening” – Another fantastic scene song.  As Campbell and Danielle try to recruit kids for their squad, I like the way they paint a picture for their potential converts.  They offer a wide assortment of motives, everything from fame/a chance to show off, to representing their neighborhood and proving what they can do to the rich white kids of the other schools. 

Best line:  “What – are y’all scared? / Y’all think cheerin’ is feminine? / Then I’m a feminist swimmin’ in / Women, gentlemen!”

“Better” – Another just-okay song.  By and large, the songs on the Truman High side aren’t my favorite.  This short patter number gets the job done, establishing the Jackson squad as a credible threat while Skylar protests too much, but there’s not much to it.

Best lyric:  “They’re blowing up on Twitter!” – “They’re only glue and glitter!”

No comments:

Post a Comment